Pentax Imaging Company redefines the entry-level digital SLR category with the introduction of the K-x digital SLR. This latest Pentax camera offers high-end features including Live View and HD video. The K-x will be available in a choice of white or black, as well as special, limited edition red and navy.
Priced at $599.95 USD (for body with DA L 18-55mm lens), the extremely compact and lightweight Pentax K-x features a one-handed shooting design and simple, easy-to-use operation, the K-x is perfect for users stepping up from a point and shoot digital camera to their first digital SLR.
The Pentax K-x offers photographic performance that challenges higher class DSLR models and offers several features that set this camera apart in the entry-level category:
- High resolution 12.4 megapixel CMOS image sensor features sensor-shift Shake Reduction for stabilized image and video capture up to 4 stops max.
- Large 2.7 inch LCD features Live View with contrast, phase difference, and Face Detection autofocus (up to 16 faces).
- Widescreen HD video capture in full 720p resolution (1280x720) at 24 FPS cinematic frame rate, using any Pentax 35mm lens.
- Creative processing and filter modes produce high quality finished images, while offering the ability to explore artistic freedom through unique special effects.
- True High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture blends 3 bracketed images into a single picture with outstanding shadow, highlight, and midrange detail.
- Fast 4.7 FPS capture speed and 1/6000 second maximum shutter speeds are possible with the Pentax PRIME II image processing engine.
- Powerful automatic modes, including Pentax Auto Picture and scene modes, ensure the perfect shot in any situation, while helping new photographers learn DSLR photography.
- Responsive 11 point wide angle SAFOX VIII autofocus system focuses quickly and accurately, and can easily track moving subjects.
- Captures up to 1900 shots with universally available, easy-to-find AA lithium batteries (also compatible with AA NiMH rechargeable and alkaline batteries).
Along with the K-x, Pentax announced the smc Pentax DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED super-telephoto zoom lens. This lens will be exclusive to a K-x Twin Lens Kit package consisting of a K-x body, this new lens and the smc Pentax DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens. The lightweight design of this
zoom lens offers the exceptional optical performance found in all Pentax lenses for super-telephoto photography with the K-x and other Pentax digital SLR camera bodies.
The Pentax K-x (in black and white) will ship in October 2009 in three configurations: options:
- K-x single lens kit with body and an smc Pentax DA L 18-55mm lens for USD $649.95.
- K-x twin lens kit for $749.95 including a K-x body, the smc Pentax DA L 18-55mm lens and the smc Pentax DA L 50-200mm zoom lens.
- K-x twin lens kit for $849.95 including a K-x body, the smc Pentax DA L 18-55mm lens and the smc Pentax DA L 55-300mm zoom lens.