Student Union - Will Newman
Carolina Day School
Asheville, North Carolina
is the youngest photographer we've featured on this page--he's
11, and in the fifth grade at Carolina Day School. "When I was about 2
years old," Will says, "my mom put a camera in my hands and said,
`Shoot.' But she never said what. Later she said, `Anything.'"
He already has a few awards to his credit, including a Ranger Rick prize and a best in show from the North Carolina State Fair. He's also a photographer for his school's newspaper. While he thinks he'll always be interested in photography, he does have another strong interest: music. "I play piano and saxophone," Will tells us.
Will is, by the way, the second member of his family to be showcased in this column. His sister, Rachel, was our September, 2003, Student Union subject.
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Our Pick: The 10 Best Lenses for Mirrorless Cameras
- What to Do When You Think You've Lost All Your Images on a Faulty Memory Card
- Canon Unveils 30.4MP 5D Mark IV DSLR & Two Lenses; We Take It For a Test Drive (VIDEO)
- Create Dynamic “Rain” Portraits on the Cheap with a Manual-Focus Lens and a Garden Hose (VIDEO)
- Our Favorite Reader Websites: 3 Great Online Photo Portfolios that Make Every Click Count