Student Union - Will Newman
Carolina Day School
Asheville, North Carolina
is the youngest photographer we've featured on this page--he's
11, and in the fifth grade at Carolina Day School. "When I was about 2
years old," Will says, "my mom put a camera in my hands and said,
`Shoot.' But she never said what. Later she said, `Anything.'"
He already has a few awards to his credit, including a Ranger Rick prize and a best in show from the North Carolina State Fair. He's also a photographer for his school's newspaper. While he thinks he'll always be interested in photography, he does have another strong interest: music. "I play piano and saxophone," Will tells us.
Will is, by the way, the second member of his family to be showcased in this column. His sister, Rachel, was our September, 2003, Student Union subject.
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Capture the Beauty of Long Exposures with Your Camera’s Live View Mode and an ND Filter (VIDEO)
- Nature Photographer Simon Baxter Says Composition, Patience & Perseverance Win the Day (VIDEO)
- How to Make Your Images Pop with Bokeh: Why Blurred Backgrounds Can Make or Break a Photo
- Summer Project: How to Put Classic Nikon Lenses Back to Work
- Top Guns: 4 of the Most Popular Photographers on Social Media Share the Secrets to Their Success