Student Union: Sam Dole and Brandon Dole
School Of Visual Arts
New York City
Sam and Brandon are the sons of commercial, advertising, and fine art photographer Jody Dole, so it’s not surprising that photography would be of abiding interest.
Then of course there’s their divergence when it comes to a specific area of interest.Sam, who just completed his junior year in the four-year undergraduate program in photography at SVA, creates images that, he says, “examine the physical structure of what makes a digital photograph, rather than the norm of digital, which tends to hide that structure.” He likes to shoot “much in the way that photographers before digital would shoot high-speed film to get a grain pattern.” In pursuit of these images he uses “what can be called archaic digital technology…a lot of early consumer-grade cameras from the mid-’90s. They’re typically low resolution, and I exploit the texture of pixilation. I think there’s a lot of interesting things that go on in digital capture that haven’t been explored fully. I’m not into making my digital images look like film images.”
Valley Regional High School
Deep River, Connecticut
While the brothers think about careers in photography—Sam says he’s become very interested in photo illustration; Brandon tends to consider fine art—the only certainty seems to be that in one way or another photography will remain in the family, and in the blood.
If you are a teacher, professor, or instructor and know of a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: email@example.com.
- Watch This Video and You’ll Never Shoot Photos on Railroad Tracks Again
- Summer Project: How to Put Classic Nikon Lenses Back to Work
- Top Guns: 4 of the Most Popular Photographers on Social Media Share the Secrets to Their Success
- Capture the Beauty of Long Exposures with Your Camera’s Live View Mode and an ND Filter (VIDEO)
- Does It Bug You that Nature Documentaries Are Kind of Fake? Watch This Video & Tell Us What You Think