Student Union - Sean Fryxell
John Jay High School
Hopewell Junction, New York
Sean, who graduated from John Jay in June, has applied to the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia, but at the time we spoke hadn’t made a decision. His studies are likely to involve a mix of photography and graphic design, with an eye toward advertising and the Internet. “I like photography as well as designing websites,” he says.
Sean’s high school photo classes provided the foundation, but he cites attendance in a month-long intensive photographic course at the New York State Summer School of the Arts as particularly rewarding. “It was photography seven days a week, all day, from 8 in the morning to midnight if you wanted to work until then.”
The photographs here show two favorite themes: night and the city. “One of the things I like is what I call ‘urban exploration’ photography—finding abandoned buildings, exploring their history in the photograph and presenting the story for the viewer to interpret.”
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: email@example.com or call (321) 225-3121.
- Instagram Photographer Hot.Kenobi Uses Action Figures to Create a Humorous, Surreal Universe
- Learn How to Win Photo Contests with These Helpful Tips from Successful Shooter Lorenz Holder (VIDEO)
- Nature Photographer Mandy Lea Travels in Style to Capture Gorgeous Images of the Great Outdoors
- How Far Has Photography Evolved Since 1960? Watch This Nostalgic Short Film and See for Yourself
- Watch This Photoshop Tutorial and Learn How to Give Your Images Vibrant Natural Colors (VIDEO)