Student Union - Joe Hoyle
Billy Joe Hoyle
School of Photography, Daytona Beach Community College
Currently. In the final year of a three-year program in photography.
Goals. "To be a photojournalist; an assignment photographer for a major magazine. My dream assignment would be to have the opportunity to cover events that make history; to be a witness to history and capture it on film."
Why Photojournalism? "I've always had a passion for history and art, and photojournalism combines them. As a photojournalist I can pictorially document history."
Influences. "Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank, Robert Capa, and my favorite, Sebastiao Salgado."
Education. "Before I started school I would see things but wouldn't know how to express them in the photograph. The school has taught me how to take my vision and incorporate it into a photograph."
Cameras. Canon AE-1, Leica M6.
Film. Tri-X 100 and 400; Provia 100 and 400.
Billy Joe Hoyle was recommended to us by Patrick Van Dusen, program manager, Southeast Museum School of Photography at Daytona Beach Community College.
- Can’t Afford a Medium Format Film Scanner? Here’s How to Build One with a Shoe Box (VIDEO)
- Meet the Russian Daredevil Who Takes Modeling to New Heights with These Terrifying Selfies (VIDEO)
- Ansel Adams' Daughter-in-Law Reveals Intimate Behind-the-Scenes Stories On the Master (VIDEO)
- Our Pick: The 10 Best Lenses for Mirrorless Cameras
- Create Dynamic “Rain” Portraits on the Cheap with a Manual-Focus Lens and a Garden Hose (VIDEO)