Student Union - Andrew Mo
University Of California
At San Diego
Days At The Races
Andrew, a senior at the university, is an electrical engineering major. He qualifies for this column because he is taking a photography course. It is, however, his first and only photography course: a portfolio class that's open only to seniors with majors or minors in photography. "I thought it would be great for me, as I'm trying to make up my mind about photography as a career," he says. "I showed my portfolio, talked about my interest in the class, and jumped through a lot of hoops, but I got in."
Earlier this year Andrew was accepted in the 2006 Collegiate Sports Journalism Seminar, an annual workshop held at Churchill Downs the week prior to the Kentucky Derby. "Going to the workshop was part of figuring out if photography is what I want to do," he says. The images here were made at the seminar.
"I'm pretty much a self-taught photographer," Andrew says. "I learned a lot from reading, experimenting, and looking at pictures. There's so much out there to learn from. There really are no barriers."
Andrew Mo was recommended by Michael Corrado, a senior product manager at Nikon.
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Getty Photographers Covering the Upcoming Rio Olympics Won’t Be Hurting for High-End Gear
- Long Glass: Our Favorite Telephoto and Zoom Lenses for Getting Close to the Action
- Nikon Unveils AF-S Nikkor 105mm F/1.4E ED to Celebrate 100 Million Lens Milestone
- Need Help with Adobe Lightroom? This Helpful Six-Minute Video Tutorial Covers All the Basics
- Watch This Slow Mo Video Shot at 1000 Frames per Second and Try Not to Laugh: We Dare You!