World’s Most Expensive Camera
The duel of bidders in the auction room ended after twenty minutes with a record telephone bid. With a starting price of 200,000 Euros, the wood-built sliding-box camera changed owners for 732,000 Euros and thus became not only the oldest but also the most expensive camera in the world. With that WestLicht has broken its own record of 576,000 Euros, which was set in 2007. No less spectacular is the price achieved by the mercury box that goes with the Daguerreotype – the extremely rare accessory was sold for 144,600 Euros.
Taking part in the auction were numerous collectors, dealers, and institutions from all over the world, including bidders from Korea, Japan, the USA, and France.
- Our Pick: The 10 Best Lenses for Mirrorless Cameras
- What to Do When You Think You've Lost All Your Images on a Faulty Memory Card
- Create Dynamic “Rain” Portraits on the Cheap with a Manual-Focus Lens and a Garden Hose (VIDEO)
- Our Favorite Reader Websites: 3 Great Online Photo Portfolios that Make Every Click Count
- Canon Unveils 30.4MP 5D Mark IV DSLR & Two Lenses; We Take It For a Test Drive (VIDEO)