World’s Most Expensive Camera
The duel of bidders in the auction room ended after twenty minutes with a record telephone bid. With a starting price of 200,000 Euros, the wood-built sliding-box camera changed owners for 732,000 Euros and thus became not only the oldest but also the most expensive camera in the world. With that WestLicht has broken its own record of 576,000 Euros, which was set in 2007. No less spectacular is the price achieved by the mercury box that goes with the Daguerreotype – the extremely rare accessory was sold for 144,600 Euros.
Taking part in the auction were numerous collectors, dealers, and institutions from all over the world, including bidders from Korea, Japan, the USA, and France.
- Nikon Unveils AF-S Nikkor 105mm F/1.4E ED to Celebrate 100 Million Lens Milestone
- Why We Love Modern Retro-Style Cameras
- Long Glass: Our Favorite Telephoto and Zoom Lenses for Getting Close to the Action
- Does Microsoft’s "Intelligent" New Pix iPhone Photo App Beat Apple at Their Own Game?
- Check Out this Weird $1 Solution For Making Dramatic Long-Exposure Photographs (VIDEO)