World’s Most Expensive Camera
The duel of bidders in the auction room ended after twenty minutes with a record telephone bid. With a starting price of 200,000 Euros, the wood-built sliding-box camera changed owners for 732,000 Euros and thus became not only the oldest but also the most expensive camera in the world. With that WestLicht has broken its own record of 576,000 Euros, which was set in 2007. No less spectacular is the price achieved by the mercury box that goes with the Daguerreotype – the extremely rare accessory was sold for 144,600 Euros.
Taking part in the auction were numerous collectors, dealers, and institutions from all over the world, including bidders from Korea, Japan, the USA, and France.
- Checking Out the New Canon EOS M5 Flagship Mirrorless Camera at PhotoPlus Expo (Video)
- Look at These Eye-Popping Macro Photographs of Damselflies and You Will Be Amazed
- B&W Fine Art: How David Fokos Uses the Passage of Time to Create Stunning, Emotional Images
- Full Frame: The Story Behind the Image
- Canon Intros EOS M5 Mirrorless Camera with Faster Autofocus & Built-In Electronic Viewfinder