World’s Most Expensive Camera
The duel of bidders in the auction room ended after twenty minutes with a record telephone bid. With a starting price of 200,000 Euros, the wood-built sliding-box camera changed owners for 732,000 Euros and thus became not only the oldest but also the most expensive camera in the world. With that WestLicht has broken its own record of 576,000 Euros, which was set in 2007. No less spectacular is the price achieved by the mercury box that goes with the Daguerreotype – the extremely rare accessory was sold for 144,600 Euros.
Taking part in the auction were numerous collectors, dealers, and institutions from all over the world, including bidders from Korea, Japan, the USA, and France.
- Venus Optics Just Introduced the Weirdest Lens You’ve Ever Seen: The Laowa 24mm f/14 Macro
- 13 Questions to Test Your Knowledge of Camera Lenses
- Hands-On Impressions of the New Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
- Photographer Travels the World to Capture These Astonishing Macro Cityscapes in Drops of Water
- Bright Ideas: How Alexis Cuarezma Creates Dramatic Images Through Clever Lighting Setups