Briefly comment on your approach to adding light to low light scenes using flash.

Briefly comment on your approach to adding light to low light scenes using flash.
Yes I have the manufacturer's hot shoe flash to supplement lighting.
63% (40 votes)
I do but it is an independent brand flash and it works fine.
23% (15 votes)
No I don't use any flash other than the built-in.
14% (9 votes)
Total votes: 64
Share | |
COMMENTS
Jeremy Verinsky's picture

One of the easiest and best things you can do to improve your photography is to get the flash off the camera so you can control the direction of light and avoid the copy machine look.

Michael's picture

I like being able to aim the flash and adjust the amount of light it puts out. The built in flash tends to wash out faces.

Scott Poborsa's picture

As a Nikon shooter there are many different optionsfor lighting. I use mainly a Metz 54 MZ-3 hotshoe mounted flash along with the nikon ttl remote flash cord. I also use my nikon SB-400 as a portable flash unit for on the go street photography. It is probably one of the most underrated units to date as it is very powerful, very small and compact, has a tilt adjustment, and takes only two AA size batteries for opperation but lasts all day. Those are my flash units and I also use Elinchrom studio stobes in my studio. All offer enhanced features, low maintenance, and high power and speed.

Peter C.  Brandt's picture

Even though I have the extra flash, i seldom use any flash.

Omar's picture

There are times when the built-in flash is handy and does the job. For me that is about 40% of the time. The other 60% I use the manufacturer's hot shoe flash.

John's picture

Very necessary with many lens as the peanut flash casts a shadow where the built-in flash strikes the lens. Not so nice!

Robert Iversen's picture

I want to utilize the features that Canon offers, so I went with a Canon flash.

Neil Persh's picture

I shoot in manual mode for the ambient light and use flash compensation for the best lighting on my subject.

Rod's picture

I have both a manufacture's flash and an independent flash, but I use the independent as my primary flash.

Mel Reimer's picture

The built-in flash is fine for limited applications, but hot shoe and auxiliary flshes are much more versatile.

Kenneth's picture

On camera flash works ok on indoor photos in a pinch. Otherwise I have a Canon unit for my Canon SLR's.

Ken Truax's picture

I really rely on the ability to adjust the flash for output and direction of light to use for fill. I work with models to develop their portfolio.

Marc Campo's picture

When high ISO and fast apertures just don't cut it, a flash is essential. I always bounce it off a wall or ceiling, though. Otherwise I find the direct lighting undesirable.

Ron Fraass's picture

I use whichever is most convenient. Built-in is very handy plus it controls external flashes.

Dustin's picture

I have the Canon 430ex 2 and two LumoPro 120's and combined I have a portable studio setup.

Terry's picture

I use a Nikon SB-800 and at times the built in flash on my Nikon D200.

Don Haberman's picture

Also have other types of portable lighting including a small LED panel.

James's picture

I use my Nikon SB800 and/or SB900 100 percent of the time when shooting people outside. I like the fact that it's enough higher than the built-in flash to minimize red-eye.

Jesse Painter's picture

I use a Canon Speedlight 430ex with a Gray Fong for indoor photos.

X
Enter your Shutterbug username.
Enter the password that accompanies your username.
Loading