Almost Walked Away…
While driving up to higher elevation searching for the perfect scene, it became evident that it had recently snowed and I spotted this snowman that a mother and her two young sons were just completing. I stopped for a while and enjoyed making a few images of the snowman and as I was walking back to my vehicle it dawned on me that this rare desert snowman would make a great subject for my star trail image.
I’d seen many star trail photos with interesting foreground subjects, but never one with a snowman, let alone a snowman in the desert. I set up my gear and stayed put for the next four hours while taking 50 5-minute long exposures, which I stacked in Photoshop to produce this image.
Looking at the snowman brings back fond memories of being a young boy growing up in New Jersey. However,
as I absorb the entirety of this magical image I think to myself, wow, I almost walked away from such an amazing photo opportunity.
San Diego, CA
Please Read This
The premise of “Talking Pictures” is that every picture has a story. We invite you to send quality prints (only) and a short narrative on why you took the picture or how, in retrospect, it brings up thoughts and feelings about the subject.
We do not return submissions. By sending us an image and text you grant us permission to publish it in this magazine and on our website. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send submissions to: Talking Pictures, Shutterbug, 1415 Chaffee Dr., Suite #10, Titusville, FL 32780.
- ExploreCams Website Reveals the Most Popular Cameras & Settings Used by Photographers
- Wild World: Charles Glatzer on How to Stay 10 Steps Ahead as a Wildlife Photographer
- The Wolffepack Capture Is a Unique "Orbital" Photo Pack that Swings to the Front. Here's a Preview
- How About These Stunning Images Captured with the New High-Speed AF-S Nikkor f/1.4E ED Lens?
- How About These Stunning Images Captured with the New High-Speed AF-S Nikkor F/1.4E ED Lens?