Use Your Scanner As A Camera; Expand Your Digital Image Capture Options Page 2
6. Scan Live
If your model can hold still, you can scan hands and other body parts. I asked my wife to put on lots of bright rings and a bracelet for good measure. For a backdrop, we selected a colorful scarf. It took at least four 8.5x11”, one minute scans on the V500 at 300dpi until we got the right position without movement. In CS3, I used a levels adjustment layer to adjust color and contrast.
7. Move During The Scan
Our first hand scans were marred because of slight movement. After looking at them closely, I thought, why not exaggerate that for a special effect? This time, I asked my wife to move her hand left or right at intervals during the scan. First, I let the scan light move over the tips of her fingers, then I asked her to move an inch sideways and hold there. After a few more seconds, I had her move her hand back laterally in the other direction, and so on until the scan was completed.
8. Combine Two Scans
On the V500, I separately scanned an electronic circuit board and a telephone handset at 600dpi. Next, I used the Magic Wand tool to select and remove the black background from the handset. Then with both photos open in CS3, I dragged the handset on top of the circuit board.
9. Show Two Sides At Once
Scanners are especially great for small natural objects. I scanned this nautilus shell twice, exterior and interior, at 600dpi on the Epson V500, then combined the two scans into one photograph.
Adobe Systems Inc.
345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110
Epson America, Inc.
3840 Kilroy Airport Way
Long Beach, CA 90806
- Watch Photographer Ilko Allexandroff Get Beautiful Portraits of a Model During a Rain Storm (VIDEO)
- Deep Cover: My 10 Favorite Stealth Photo Tools for Capturing "The Decisive Moment"
- 10 Simple Tips on How to Turn Amateur-Looking Photos Into Pro-Quality Images (VIDEOS)
- 10 Simple Tips on How to Turn Amateur-Looking Photos Into Pro-Quality Images (VIDEO)
- Instagram Photographer Hot.Kenobi Uses Action Figures to Create a Humorous, Surreal Universe