These Striking B&W Images Combine the Best of Both Sports and Architectural Photography
Everyone loves B&W photography and most shooters appreciate great sports and architectural imagery too. But how often have you seen images like these that combine the best of all three genres?
Fred Mortagne (aka "French Fred") is a Leica shooter who recently traveled to Los Angeles to join the Elements Skateboards team to make the stunning images you see here.
Mortagne is a Lyon-based skateboarder, photographer, and videographer with a broad portfolio of stunning images that defy categorization. Whether you classify his work as sports, architecture, fine art, or even portraiture, it's easy to agree on the fact that Mortagne’s images are both dramatic and masterful.
“There are so many talented skateboarding photographers out there,” says Mortagne, “and my process was to try and create something new; to present different ideas than the things people would normally shoot.”
Mortagne says working in B&W helps differentiate his photographs from the far more common vivid color photos of skateboarders. He explains, “I like the timeless dimension black-and-white brings to images. All of that, combined with the other ingredients I sought out meant that eventually I was able to develop an overall, recognizable style.”
- Learn How to Make Great Portraits On the Cheap with Three Simple Setups from Nathan Elson (VIDEO)
- Freebie Alert: Get the “National Geographic Guide to Photography” with This Free PDF Download
- Getting Started in Photoshop? Here’s How to Use Layer Masks to Edit Difficult Images (VIDEO)
- These Stunning Images Are the 10 Category Winners in the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards Competition
- Bentley Is at It Again with This 57,700-Megapixel Interactive Image of Their Luxury Car in Dubai