These Incredible Images Capture the Passage of Time as Light Changes Throughout the Day
Fong Qi Wei is a photographer with a unique vision: He wanted to depict the passage of time with still images rather than with video as is customarily the case. His stunning “Time is a Dimension” series does just that by capturing cityscapes that illustrate how light changes throughout the day.
Wei says his work defies classification explaining that, “Photographic galleries call my work paintings, while traditional galleries specializing in paintings call my work photographs.”
Regardless of terminology, Wei says the only thing that matters to him is, “I can show that scientific ideas like space-time can be beautiful, or that anatomy can teach us to look closely at beauty.”
Based in Singapore, Wei has been using digital photography as his medium for over 10 years and he is actively involved in the printmaking process to achieve his final vision.
For his “Time is a Dimension” images Wei photographs locations from the same spot throughout the course of a day. He then splices the photographs together to create a single image depicting how the scene changed over several hours.
Wei’s conceptual work encourages viewers to contemplate what they see by providing a unique perspective on familiar subjects. “My goal,” he says, “is to engage you on a deeper level as you look at my work.”
You can view more of Wei’s unique imagery on the popular #fongqiwei Instagram page and on his website. And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram at @ShutterbugPix where we’re sharing our favorite photos from our followers.
- Nature Photographer Thomas Heaton Reveals His Secrets for Shooting Spectacular Seascapes (VIDEO)
- Yay! 15 Fun Questions to Test Your Right to be Called a Photography Fanatic
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Aperture But Were Afraid to Ask (VIDEO)
- This Landscape Tutorial Takes You to Death Valley with Nature Photographer Ben Horne (VIDEO)
- Learn How to Brighten Eyes in Photoshop in Less than One Minute (VIDEO)