Climbing down the steep ladders, I became fascinated by the chambers and hallways, each compartment separated by a sculptural door. As I wandered the empty halls and rooms on my own, with the smell of oil in the air, I felt pulled into the past. This was home for a crew of 3500, most 18-19 years old, many teenagers. I found it hard to imagine how anyone could sacrifice what we take for granted—comforts of home, fresh air, family and friends, individual privacy—to serve on this vessel.
Regardless of why someone would serve on this vessel, seeing this environment commands the utmost respect for those who do.
Please Read This
The premise of “Talking Pictures” is that every picture has a story. We invite you to send quality prints (only) and a short narrative on why you took the picture or how, in retrospect, it brings up thoughts and feelings about the subject.
We do not return submissions. By sending us an image and text you grant us permission to publish it in this magazine and on our website. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com.
Send submissions to: Talking Pictures, Shutterbug, 1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1, Titusville, FL 32780.
- Take a Minute to Watch These 5 Fun Camera Hacks Using Stuff You Already Have at Home (VIDEO)
- Need a Portrait Model? Teach a Friend How to Pose Like a Pro with 3 Simple Tips (VIDEO)
- Underexposed Portraits? They’re Easy to Fix with This 5-Minute Lightroom Tutorial (VIDEO)
- Don’t Fear Off-Camera Flash: Use it to Make Better Outdoor Portraits with This Quick Tutorial (VIDEO)
- Watch Canon Cameras Evolve in This Short Video History Celebrating 30 Years of the EOS System