In the fall of 2001, I went to Florence, Italy, to study Fine Arts. With my first camera, the Nikon N60, in hand I went out to explore the city that would be my home for the next six months. I soon noticed that the city of Florence had a million stories just waiting to be told. Listening to the sounds of the motor scooters buzzing around the streets and the infectious giggles from the children in the marketplaces, I started photographing everything I could. My creative juices were inspired by the everyday life of the Italian culture.
One day I placed my camera down and relaxed in a piazza, while watching those
around me. A little boy quickly caught my attention; he was playing and skipping
around. He sat down for a quick break on a step in front of a resting man. I
recognized this moment and grabbed my camera to take the photograph.
Before that fall I had no formal photography training. Shortly after this picture was taken I took my first photography class. I realized the power of a photograph and the story it can tell. To this day, after many photographs taken, this one still remains my favorite.
East Greenwich, RI
Please Read This:
The premise of "Talking Pictures" is that every picture has a story. We invite you to send quality prints (only) and a short narrative on why you took the picture or how, in retrospect, it brings up thoughts and feelings about the subject.
We do not return submissions. By sending us an image and text you grant us permission to publish it in this magazine and on our website. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send submissions to:
Talking Pictures, Shutterbug
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1
Titusville, FL 32780
- Venus Optics Just Introduced the Weirdest Lens You’ve Ever Seen: The Laowa 24mm f/14 Macro
- GoPro Launches Their First Drone and Two New Hero5 Action Cameras with Raw Capture Mode
- Hands-On Impressions of the New Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
- Leica and Lensbaby Intro New Lenses at Photokina: Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux SL & Lensbaby Twist60
- Bright Ideas: How Alexis Cuarezma Creates Dramatic Images Through Clever Lighting Setups