A Fond Remembrance…
While traveling in northern Oregon on a hot summer day in 1987, I came upon
an old, mostly abandoned community called Flora. It had very few die-hard residents
left. On a neglected section of property, with waist-high grass, I spotted an
old abandoned car I wanted to photograph. I decided to stop and ask permission
at a shabby house nearby. An elderly lady in a sunhat appeared at the door before
I could knock. She invited me in--it was cool inside. She immediately started
rambling on about her favorite cat, as if I were a visiting neighbor. While
she was fussing with it, she suddenly changed the subject to politics and started
reciting a letter she recently wrote to her congressman about an issue she felt
passionate about. I glanced around her home filled with character and memorabilia
and spotted some geraniums growing up a windowpane behind some lace curtains.
While she continued talking, I quickly guessed at shutter and aperture settings
and took several photographs. In '88 with this photograph I was awarded
second place in the "Oregon Salon of Photography" sponsored by the
Oregon State Fair. I will always remember my visit to the home of Zella Weatherman.
--Steven D. Strean
Please Read This
The premise of Talking Pictures is that every picture has a story. We invite you to send quality prints (only) and a short narrative on why you took the picture or how, in retrospect, it brings up thoughts and feelings about the subject.
We do not return submissions. By sending us an image and text you grant us permission to publish it in this magazine and on our website. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send submissions to:
Talking Pictures, Shutterbug
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1
Titusville, FL 32780
- Nature Photographer Thomas Heaton Reveals His Secrets for Shooting Spectacular Seascapes (VIDEO)
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Aperture But Were Afraid to Ask (VIDEO)
- How to Shoot Pretty Portraits with a Compact Camera; Manny Ortiz Strips It Down With the Sony RX100 V
- Learn How to Brighten Eyes in Photoshop in Less than One Minute (VIDEO)
- Here Are 10 Great Tips & Tricks for Making Precise Selections & Masks in Photoshop (VIDEO)