Student Union - Ryan Conn
On The Record. "Documentary photography is an opportunity to revive the belief that there's truth in photography. Once we believed that the picture was a true moment; lately we've come to doubt that because of computer manipulation and staged events. Although the photograph is not as respected as it used to be, and perhaps not taken as seriously, I think there can still be truth in it."
Currently. In his junior year, majoring in photography.
Current Project. "I've been documenting aspects of the life of my grandmother and her three sisters in the house where they all live. I feel I'm getting to know them more as I continue to photograph them."
Goal. Documentary photogra-phy, but "I've had a lot of experience with school, but nothing with real life. I don't think I'll know for sure until I've had a chance to see more."
Education. "The facilities here are topnotch, and the professors are outstanding. The orientation is very commercial--they make sure we're equipped to get a job."
Influences. Bill Burke, Walker Evens, Weegee, Julia Margaret Cameron. "There are so many...it seems everyday I discover someone new."
Camera. Nikon N50; Mamiya 645.
Film. Tri-X, Kodak Professional E100.
If you are a professor, instructor, or department head and have a student whose work deserves attention, contact us by fax: (407) 267-1894, e-mail: email@example.com, or by mail at Shutterbug, 5211 S. Washington Ave., Titusville, FL 32780.
- Don’t Screw Up: Here’s the Correct Way to Use a Reflector for Better Outdoor Portraits (VIDEO)
- Fujifilm Announces Pricing, Availability & Lenses for GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
- This Happened When Kristina Makeeva Took a Stroll on the Deepest, Cleanest Lake On Earth
- These Are the Jaw-Dropping Winners of the 2016 Monochrome Awards Photography Contest
- Travel Photo Tips: It’s Not What You See, but What You Feel That Makes for Better Pictures