Student Union - Max Mikulecky
Blue Valley North High School
Overland Park, Kansas
Max, who will be going into his sophomore year at Blue Valley this month, remembers finding his dad's camera, a Canon F1, when he was in the fifth grade. "I had no idea how to work it," Max says. His dad showed him the basics, and that was a start. Max took a basic film photo course, complete with darkroom instruction, in his freshman year.
The photos here were taken with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT on a family road trip along Route 66. "I just love the classic, rusted old cars. There's just something about them...I always wonder who owned them and where they were driven."
Max has some thoughts of photography as a career, but if that doesn't happen he says he'll be happy with it as a hobby or as the occasional "side job." But, at 15, he also says, "It's a little early to have to decide."
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Venus Optics Just Introduced the Weirdest Lens You’ve Ever Seen: The Laowa 24mm f/14 Macro
- GoPro Launches Their First Drone and Two New Hero5 Action Cameras with Raw Capture Mode
- Hands-On Impressions of the New Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
- Light Touch: Joe McNally On How to Use Multiple Speedlights to Capture Eye-Popping Portraits
- Leica and Lensbaby Intro New Lenses at Photokina: Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux SL & Lensbaby Twist60