Student Union - Kris Lyon
Days Creek Charter School
Kris, who is 16, has been taking pictures for seven years. His interest in photography coincides with a photography club for 4-H that he suggested to his mother, and which she started. He's largely self-taught, though he has taken online courses and one of his teachers is currently helping him in a "self-guided course," using two college texts--"one on [photography] history and one technical," Kris says.
He has also been teaching photography. "I've done some workshops for local kids and one statewide 4-H Leaders Forum."
Kris hopes to study photography in college. His plan at the moment is to become a photojournalist and to combine his photography with writing. He appears to be off to a good start, as his images certainly demonstrate a storyteller's sensibility.
The photos here are something different, though. They are the result of a trip last spring to Uruguay, where he visited family. "I made a little book of the photos and posted it to blurb.com...it's not a photo essay, but just a look at two towns, Montevideo and Colonia, and my family."
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Celebrity Shooter Matthew Jordan Smith Shows You How to Take Great Portraits of Women (VIDEO)
- Ask A Pro: Scott Kelby Answers Your Photography Questions
- 3 Legged Thing Corey Magnesium Alloy Travel Tripod with AirHed Neo Ball Head Review
- Here’s the Lowdown on Making Dramatic Photos by Shooting from a Low Camera Angle (VIDEO)
- Which Lens Is Best for Portraits: A Fast 85mm F/1.4 Prime or a Versatile 70-200mm F/2.8 Zoom? (VIDEO)