Student Union - Kris Lyon
Days Creek Charter School
Kris, who is 16, has been taking pictures for seven years. His interest in photography coincides with a photography club for 4-H that he suggested to his mother, and which she started. He's largely self-taught, though he has taken online courses and one of his teachers is currently helping him in a "self-guided course," using two college texts--"one on [photography] history and one technical," Kris says.
He has also been teaching photography. "I've done some workshops for local kids and one statewide 4-H Leaders Forum."
Kris hopes to study photography in college. His plan at the moment is to become a photojournalist and to combine his photography with writing. He appears to be off to a good start, as his images certainly demonstrate a storyteller's sensibility.
The photos here are something different, though. They are the result of a trip last spring to Uruguay, where he visited family. "I made a little book of the photos and posted it to blurb.com...it's not a photo essay, but just a look at two towns, Montevideo and Colonia, and my family."
If you know a student whose work deserves recognition, contact our editorial department by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- Watch Ansel Adams’ Son Discuss How His Father Made His Most Famous Photo (VIDEO)
- Hasselblad Launches World’s First Compact Mirrorless Digital Medium Format Camera: the 50MP X1D
- FilmToaster Scanner Review
- Always Remember to Take a Good Look: How to See What’s Right in Front of You as a Photographer
- Get a Load of This Rare, Three-Foot Long Nikon 1200mm Super Telephoto Lens