Student Union - Jeffrey Schad
Currently. In his third semester at FIT. Also working as an assistant to a modern dance photographer.
Goal. "To be a fashion photographer in New York."
Why Fashion Photography? "Because I like fashion in general, and I can put that together with my love of photography to try to convey more than just the clothes. I like how I can tell a story within the ad, how I can create a mood."
The Message. "It's not just about selling the product; it's also about what the photographer wants to say--that's if you get that free rein, and I know it takes a while to get to that point."
Influences. "I think the European magazines take a lot more chances in their photography, and they use a lot of younger photographers. I like Nick Knight and Jurgen Teller in Europe and Terry Richard-son over here."
Education. "FIT is based in the industry, and you learn how to do what you want to do. They teach you how to control everything, every step of the way. We can look through a magazine, see the ads and know how to shoot them. I've gotten a strong technical knowledge that's a base to build on. Now I've got to develop my own vision from that base."
Cameras. Mamiya RZ, Can-on EOS.
Film. T-Max 100, Kodak Pro 100, Fuji Velvia.
The Ultimate. "Shooting for the big fashion magazines."
Jeffrey Schad was recommended to us by FIT professor Max Hilaire.
- Technically Speaking: Understanding Depth of Field
- Behold the Incredible Black-and-White Street Photography by Legendary Richard Sandler
- This 4-Minute Time-Lapse Video Reveals 4.5 Hours of Editing That Resulted in One Spectacular Image
- What Were the Most Popular Photo Products of 2016? LensRentals Reveals Its Hottest Gear List
- Great Holiday Deals for Photographers: 7 Fantastic Photo Gifts That Cost Less Than $50