Student Union - Jeffrey Schad
Currently. In his third semester at FIT. Also working as an assistant to a modern dance photographer.
Goal. "To be a fashion photographer in New York."
Why Fashion Photography? "Because I like fashion in general, and I can put that together with my love of photography to try to convey more than just the clothes. I like how I can tell a story within the ad, how I can create a mood."
The Message. "It's not just about selling the product; it's also about what the photographer wants to say--that's if you get that free rein, and I know it takes a while to get to that point."
Influences. "I think the European magazines take a lot more chances in their photography, and they use a lot of younger photographers. I like Nick Knight and Jurgen Teller in Europe and Terry Richard-son over here."
Education. "FIT is based in the industry, and you learn how to do what you want to do. They teach you how to control everything, every step of the way. We can look through a magazine, see the ads and know how to shoot them. I've gotten a strong technical knowledge that's a base to build on. Now I've got to develop my own vision from that base."
Cameras. Mamiya RZ, Can-on EOS.
Film. T-Max 100, Kodak Pro 100, Fuji Velvia.
The Ultimate. "Shooting for the big fashion magazines."
Jeffrey Schad was recommended to us by FIT professor Max Hilaire.
- Nikon Clarifies Their Path Forward: Will Concentrate on Mid-to-High-End DSLRs, Mirrorless Cameras & Lenses
- Watch How Photoshop Can Transform a Dull Photo into a Vibrant Image That “Pops” (VIDEO)
- Learn 7 Lightroom Tricks in 60 Seconds on Using Sliders to Speed up Your Workflow (VIDEO)
- You Should Try This Simple Lighting Setup for Shooting Beautiful Portraits at Home or on Location (VIDEO)
- Final Shot: Here's Our Favorite Reader Photo of the Month