Student Union - Erik Jacobs
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Erik Jacobs didn't take a direct route to photography as a career. When he graduates in December from WKU with a degree in photojournalism, it will be his second diploma--he has a degree in exercise physiology and sports medicine from Skidmore. Interested in photography, what turned him toward it as a career was a copy of Magnum Degrees, a collection of images taken by the elite photographers associated with the fabled agency. "I sat with that book for hours," Erik says, "and went through everything at least twice. I was so blown away by it I actually took a picture of the book on the table in the library. From that point on there was no turning back."
When we talked with him he was doing a summer internship at The Boston Globe. It's his fourth internship, and like the others he says it's a "great learning experience. You're treated just like a staff photographer and are assigned to shoot everything from NASCAR racing to portraits."
While he wasn't specific about his post-graduation plans--"a few things are in the works"--they absolutely involve pursuing a career as a photojournalist.
Please Read This
Do you know a student whose work deserves recognition? If so, contact our editorial department by e-mail: email@example.com or call (321) 225-3121.
- Take a Minute to Watch These 5 Fun Camera Hacks Using Stuff You Already Have at Home (VIDEO)
- Underexposed Portraits? They’re Easy to Fix with This 5-Minute Lightroom Tutorial (VIDEO)
- Watch Canon Cameras Evolve in This Short Video History Celebrating 30 Years of the EOS System
- Here’s How to Photograph the First Coast-to-Coast Total Eclipse of the Sun Since 1918
- Our 10 Favorite Film Cameras of All Time