Student Union - Erik Jacobs
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Erik Jacobs didn't take a direct route to photography as a career. When he graduates in December from WKU with a degree in photojournalism, it will be his second diploma--he has a degree in exercise physiology and sports medicine from Skidmore. Interested in photography, what turned him toward it as a career was a copy of Magnum Degrees, a collection of images taken by the elite photographers associated with the fabled agency. "I sat with that book for hours," Erik says, "and went through everything at least twice. I was so blown away by it I actually took a picture of the book on the table in the library. From that point on there was no turning back."
When we talked with him he was doing a summer internship at The Boston Globe. It's his fourth internship, and like the others he says it's a "great learning experience. You're treated just like a staff photographer and are assigned to shoot everything from NASCAR racing to portraits."
While he wasn't specific about his post-graduation plans--"a few things are in the works"--they absolutely involve pursuing a career as a photojournalist.
Please Read This
Do you know a student whose work deserves recognition? If so, contact our editorial department by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (321) 225-3121.
- This Landscape Tutorial Takes You to Death Valley with Nature Photographer Ben Horne (VIDEO)
- Nature Photographer Thomas Heaton Reveals His Secrets for Shooting Spectacular Seascapes (VIDEO)
- Spiff Up Your Photography Wardrobe with These Snazzy Clothes and Accessories from Canon
- Have Fun Making Unique Portraits with These Creative Tips & Tricks (VIDEO)
- Hear the Story of How These Amazing Aerial Images of Air Force Jets Were Shot “Blind” on Film (VIDEO)