Still & Motion
Editor’s Note: We are very pleased with the response to our online image submission, but I do have some suggestions that will aid us and help you in having images selected. Do not upload images with less than 2MB JPEG resolution. Limit submissions to two images per assignment. Be sure to provide technical information on the image. And please include copyright information that incorporates your name, not just your username.
Picture This! – Our Next Assignment
Super Deep Depth Of Field
Using a wide-angle lens at a narrow aperture, with the camera leaned in toward the close foreground, can produce startlingly deep depth of field, such as in this photo of a fence at a horse farm in Tennessee. So get out that wide angle and upload your special SDDOF shots for all to see. Photo was made with a Sony alpha 7 camera and a 28-70mm lens and an exposure of f/18 at 1/60 sec.
How To Submit Online
1. Go to www.shutterbug.com and register. Scroll down the page and on the right side you will see a box for entering your username and your password. If you have already registered and/or submitted images for the Galleries you can skip this step. Respond to the activation e-mail. Registration is free. You will use your username and password whenever you visit or, with some systems, it will automatically load for you when you visit www.shutterbug.com.
2. Check the assignment and closing dates in the magazine. When the magazine is printed we will create an appropriate gallery for your images. The limit is two images per assignment.
3. Select and prepare your images. We only accept files at a maximum 5MB size, JPEG format. Save the JPEG at a quality level of 10 or higher. Note that file size in your image folder directory will determine upload size, not the “opened” file size, as JPEG compresses at 1:4 at higher quality ratings. If your images do not load it probably means you have exceeded the file size or have not used JPEG format.
4. Click on the Galleries tab on the homepage. In the Category section use the drop-down menu to select the Picture This! assignment. Note that images are simultaneously loaded into the assignment category as well as your own personal gallery. When the Picture This! assignment deadline date has lapsed the assignment gallery will be removed, but your images will still reside in your own gallery.
5. In the Description box add title, camera, lens, exposure information, and your full name. Also add any other comments or anecdotes you think relevant. We reserve the right to edit comments as needed.
6. Click the Save button at the bottom of the page. This uploads the image.
7. You retain copyright on the image.
8. We will choose the images after close of the due date.
9. Please feel free to comment on images submitted by other readers.
Deadline For Submission: May 15, 2014
Images will appear in our August 2014 issue
Our Next Topic: Rich And Color-Full
Deadline For Submission: June 15, 2014
Publication Date: September 2014 issue
Please Note: By submitting you agree to give us the right to show the image(s) on the web and for publication. You give us publication rights in the magazine and on the website(s) of Source Interlink Media.
Please Note: If you submit images with an enhancement through software beyond contrast, exposure, and simple saturation adjustments please indicate the software and “filter” used to attain that effect.—Editor
Want to see images selected for past picture this! Assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on picture this! In the “more articles…” box on the homepage.
Please Note: If the photograph includes a minor or a recognizable individual or group you are guaranteeing that you have a signed model release form, and especially a parental or guardian release form for minors. You should keep a copy of that release in your files. Scan that release and keep it handy. If an image is chosen for publication, failure to provide a form when requested will eliminate the image from consideration. You can find release forms at http://asmp.org/tutorials/model-release-minor-child.html and other resources on the Internet. By uploading images you attest that the model release form is valid, that any depiction of a person is with their consent, that you have a model release form available on request, and that all images you submit have been made by you.If you have any questions or problems e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with Picture This! in the subject line.
- Check Out These Spectacular Images Captured by a Pilot From the Cockpit of a Boeing 747 Cargo Plane
- Is Instant Film Photography Making a Comeback? How Fujifilm Has Sparked an Instant Revival
- Get Ready for Fall, Photographers. Here Are 5 Photo Tips for Autumn.
- Watch This Stunning 4K Timelapse That Shows Off the Beautiful Snohetta Viewpoint in Norway
- Watch Us Test the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR in Bali, Indonesia in This Video Review