Sigma Corporation DP2x
The camera, which will be available for purchase in late April for the MSRP of $800, is the successor to Sigma’s DP2 and DP2s cameras.
The DP2x continues to feature the 14-megapixel FOVEON X3 direct image sensor (2,652 1,768 3 layers), and will now also include Analog Front End (AFE) and high-speed auto focus. AFE is also used in the DP1x compact digital camera and SD15 DSLR and converts full color data, which the FOVEON X3 capture system records, into a digital signal. This enables the camera to reproduce high-definition and richly colored images. In addition, the new AF algorithm provides high-speed auto focus, ensuring convenient shooting.
“The DP cameras have been extremely popular with Sigma’s camera users, and we know that they will be very pleased with the latest enhancements to our DP2 series,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America.
Here’s a quick look at some of the DP2x’s features:
· SLR-sized image sensor: The size of the image sensor used in the DP2x camera is 20.7mm x 13.8mm. It is approximately seven to 12 times larger than the 1/1.8inch to 1/2.5inch image sensors used in ordinary compact digital cameras. The pixel size of the image sensor is 7.8μm. The large photodiodes deployed at a large pixel pitch capture pure, rich light efficiently and give the DP2x its high-resolution and richly-graduated tones
· Full-color image sensor: The DP2x uses the same 14 megapixel (2,6521,7683 layers) direct image sensor as the SD14, SD15 and other DP series cameras. Utilizing the special features of silicon, which is penetrated to different depths by different wavelengths of light, this direct image sensor succeeds in full-color capture with the full RGB in a single-pixel location. Since the moire is not generated, use of a low-pass filter is not needed because full information of light and color can be captured with three-dimensional feeling
· TRUE II image processing engine: The DP2x incorporates the “TRUE (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) II” image processing engine which improves the processing speed and overall image quality. The unique image-processing algorithm provides high resolution power and reproduces high-definition images with richly graduated tones
· Analog Front End (AFE): AFE converts the color data, which full-color capture systems record, to a digital signal. This enables the camera to reproduce high-definition and richly colored images
· 24.2mm F2.8 lens. The DP2x is equipped with a 24.2mm F2.8 large aperture lens, equivalent to 41mm on a 35mm SLR camera, which has been designed exclusively for DP2x. Two, high-refractive index glasses and two molded glass aspherical lenses provide superior image quality and allow compact construction. The Super Multi Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting. The SLR-sized image sensor and the large aperture of F2.8 combination provide natural shallow depth-of-field and attractive bokeh effect
· RAW format recording: The DP2x includes JPEG recording format for convenience plus a RAW data (X3F) recording mode for retaining full image capture detail of the utmost quality. The RAW data format provides pure data for high-resolution images, and uses lossless compression for more compact, yet uncompromised, data files. The RAW data format of the DP2x keeps brightness and color data in a 1:1 ratio without relying on interpolation. Each pixel location captures the full color of RGB data, so in RAW, X3F files, brightness and color data can be kept in a 1:1 ratio without relying on interpolation. When the image is processed in Sigma Photo Pro, it will preserve the balance of the natural data for the best photos with the best image quality
· SIGMA Photo Pro (supplied): The supplied image processing software, Sigma Photo Pro, converts RAW data quickly and easily. Incorporation of a new noise reduction algorithm reduces Chroma and Luminance noise when processing X3F files taken at ISO400 or more. It is possible to adjust the level of reduction for noise just by moving the slider in the control pallet. This software is compatible with multi core CPUs, ensuring high speed image processing. It also incorporates functions such as loupe, slideshow, printing, JPEG conversion and batch white balance settings
· Compact and lightweight body: The DP2x has compact dimensions of 113.3mm/4.5in (W) x 59.5mm/2.3in (H) x 56.1mm/2.2in (D). Its compact body and lightweight design makes it easy to carry everywhere. Three metering modes and four exposure modes The DP2x has three metering modes: Evaluative Metering, Center Weighted Average Metering and Spot Metering. It is also possible to select the exposure mode from Program AE, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE or Manual. Exposure compensation can be set in 1/3 stop increments from +3.0 to -3.0 stops and an auto bracketing function is also available
· The Quick Set (QS) Menu: The DP2x features the QS menu, designed to allow users to quickly access and change the most commonly used camera functions. It is possible to display the QS menu by pressing the QS button. QS menu 1 allows users to change the ISO Setting, White Balance, Flash mode and Metering mode and QS menu 2 gives access to Image Size, Color Mode, Image Quality and Drive Mode
· Pop up (manual) built-in flash: The DP2x is equipped with a pop up (manual) built-in flash. It is possible to use Normal Flash, Red-Eye Reduction Flash and Slow Synchro Mode. It also features flash exposure compensation in 1/3 stops increments
· Nine-point focusing area: The AF area of DP2x is equipped with nine focusing points. It is possible to select the desired focusing point depending on the shooting situation. Manual Focus Manual Focus is available for use when autofocus or focus lock is not desired. It is also possible to magnify the display to ensure precise focusing
· Movie Mode: It is possible to record movies with QVGA (320x240) size. The number of shooting frames per second is 30 frames. The recording capacity is approximately 30 minutes by 1GB memory card
· Color Mode: The DP2x camera is equipped with seven types of the Color Modes which is adjusted saturation, contrast, etc for each shooting situation. It is possible to select from Portrait, Landscape, Vivid, Standard, Neutral, B&W or Sepia
· Large 2.5" TFT Color LCD Monitor: The DP2x camera features large 2.5 inch TFT color LCD monitor. The LCD monitor displays 100 percent of the images, allowing the photographer to easily and accurately confirm the image compensation
· Hot Shoe: The DP2x camera is equipped with a hot shoe, allowing use of the dedicated external flashgun
· EF-140 DG (optional) as well as Sigma electronic flashguns for SD series such as EF-610 DG SUPER and EF-610 DG ST. This hot shoe is also used to attach high performance view finder VF-21 (optional)
To locate an authorized Sigma dealer near you, visit http://www.sigmaphoto.com/where-to-buy-sigma. To use Sigma’s Lens Finder Tool to find the best lens to suit your needs, visit http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-lens-finder. For information about Sigma Corporation of America, visit www.sigmaphoto.com.
- Learn How to Make Great Portraits On the Cheap with Three Simple Setups from Nathan Elson (VIDEO)
- Freebie Alert: Get the “National Geographic Guide to Photography” with This Free PDF Download
- Getting Started in Photoshop? Here’s How to Use Layer Masks to Edit Difficult Images (VIDEO)
- These Stunning Images Are the 10 Category Winners in the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards Competition
- Bentley Is at It Again with This 57,700-Megapixel Interactive Image of Their Luxury Car in Dubai