On The Road; A Guide To Travel & Field Tripods Under 10 Lbs Page 2
· Tripod head. Match the head to the tripod. While
a few tripods come with a head permanently attached, many more accept optional
heads (and may be sold legs only). Don't put a bulky head on a small tripod,
or a tiny head on a stocky support--use the size of the top plate as your
guide. And match the screw thread of the head to tripod-mounting screw (1/4
or 1/8"--adapters are available). Popular choices are a "ball"
or "pan" head. A quick release is handy, more so when working with
several cameras (one quick plate per camera). Important: Heads and tripods each
have a specified maximum load (the total weight of camera, lens, etc. each will
support). Use the lower of the two values (for tripod or head) as your guide.
So if one value is 5 lbs and the other 10, use 5 lbs as the maximum load.
· Bubble level. Useful, but fragile. While helpful in correctly aligning the picture, the bubble level is a fragile element in a tripod carried over rough terrain, so weigh it carefully and don't discount a tripod (or head) for lack of this feature.
· Tripod handles, straps, and bags. Convenient for toting. Not every outdoor tripod offers a handle or carrying strap, so hopefully there's at least one padded leg section you can grab to ease portage. When transporting the tripod (check with your carrier for carryon restrictions), a bag helps to prevent damage to or from the tripod in transit, especially while hiking. Padded is good, but unpadded is easier to fold and stow away when not needed. When transporting the tripod without a bag, make sure the head is on tight, and pocket the quick plate or leave it on the camera so it doesn't get dislodged from the head.
Bogen Imaging Inc. (Gitzo and Manfrotto)
565 E Crescent Ave.
Ramsey, NJ 07446
Calumet Photographic, Inc.
890 Supreme Dr.
Bensenville, IL 60106
HP Marketing Corp. (Berlebach, Giottos, Linhof, Novoflex)
16 Chapin Rd.
Pine Brook, NJ 07058
14747 Artesia Blvd., 3-E
La Mirada, CA 90638
Paterson Photographic Inc. (Benbo)
4680-A Industrial Access Rd.
Douglasville, GA 30134
Pro4 Imaging Inc. (Uni-loc)
701 Aspen Peak Loop #523
Henderson, NV 89015
Ries Industries, Inc.
PO Box 487
Waterville, WA 98858
RTS Inc. (Cullmann)
40-11 Burt Dr.
Deer Park, NY 11729
1268 Humbracht Cir.
Bartlett, IL 60103
THK Photo Products, Inc. (Slik)
2360 Mira Mar Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90815
The Tiffen Company, LLC (Davis & Sanford)
90 Oser Ave.
Hauppauge, NY 11788
ToCAD America Inc. (Hakuba, Sunpak, Velbon)
300 Webro Rd.
Parsippany, NJ 07054
9157 East M-36
Whitmore Lake, MI 48189
- These Are the Jaw-Dropping Winners of the 2016 Monochrome Awards Photography Contest
- Watch These Photographers Calmly Taking Pictures As the Biggest Alligator We’ve Ever Seen Walks By
- Online Learning Center Alision Shares Harvard University’s Photography Course for Free
- Here’s the Backstory on Chris Burkard’s Once-in-a-Lifetime Shot of a Surfer in Iceland (VIDEO)
- Full Frame: The Story Behind the Image