Profoto B1 TTL Metering with Canon EOS-1D X
The TTL metering is made possible with Profoto’s patent-pending AirTTL system. Already at launch Profoto promised to continuously update the AirTTL system. One of the most frequently requested features is TTL metering with Canon’s flagship model: the Canon EOS-1D X. Today, this feature is made available free of charge through an easily installed firmware upgrade.
But note that it is not the B1 off-camera flash itself that needs to be upgraded; it is the small radio transmitter that is mounted on the Canon camera’s hot shoe: the Air Remote TTL-C.
The process is very simple: 1) Go to www.profoto.com/support. 2) Sign in with an existing My Profoto account or create a new one. 3) Register your B1 and your Air Remote TTL-C. 4) Download the upgrade. 5) Open the software and follow the simple instructions. That is it. You can do all of this without having to contact a service station.
“Enabling photographers to do the upgrades themselves is a great step in our quest for providing Profoto users with the best in class customer support,” says Göran Marén, Product Manager at Profoto. “This is something we will strive to provide for all new products.”
This is the first of many planned upgrades for the B1 off-camera flash and the AirTTL system. Profoto is currently working on a firmware upgrade for high-speed sync (HSS). Profoto is also busy developing the new Air Remote TTL-N that will enable TTL metering with Nikon cameras. Both the HSS upgrade and the Air Remote TTL-N are expected to be released in 2014.
- Look at These Eye-Popping Macro Photographs of Damselflies and You Will Be Amazed
- Ryan Deboodt’s Giant Cave Photography is Absolutely Astonishing
- B&W Fine Art: How David Fokos Uses the Passage of Time to Create Stunning, Emotional Images
- Paul Wilson’s Spectacular Starscapes Have to Be Seen to Be Believed
- Learn How to Paint With Light & Create Dramatic “Light Drawings” with Your Camera (VIDEO)