The Power Of B&W
PLEASE NOTE: While most images posted to the Galleries for Picture This! have all the information required, a number are posted without placing your “real” name (not your username) in the information box. We need your real name so we can make the correct copyright notice if and when we publish your picture.
Picture This! – Our Next Assignment
One compositional technique is when forms seem to “echo,” or repeat, within the frame. This reinforces the foreground subject via a repeating pattern or similar subject that is placed strategically in the background; it could also be a defining shadow of the foreground subject itself that creates the “echo.” So upload your visual echoes via our online Gallery and join in the fun.
How To Submit Online
1. Go to www.shutterbug.com and register. Scroll down the page and on the right side you will see a box for entering your username and your password. If you have already registered and/or submitted images for the Galleries you can skip this step. Respond to the activation e-mail. Registration is free. You will use your username and password whenever you visit or, with some systems, it will automatically load for you when you visit www.shutterbug.com.
2. Check the assignment and closing dates in the magazine. When the magazine is printed we will create an appropriate gallery for your images. The limit is two images per assignment.
3. Select and prepare your images. We only accept files at a maximum 5MB size, JPEG format. Save the JPEG at a quality level of 10 or higher. Note that file size in your image folder directory will determine upload size, not the “opened” file size, as JPEG compresses at 1:4 at higher quality ratings. If your images do not load it probably means you have exceeded the file size or have not used JPEG format.
4. Click on the Galleries tab on the homepage. In the Category section use the drop-down menu to select the Picture This! assignment. Note that images are simultaneously loaded into the assignment category as well as your own personal gallery. When the Picture This! assignment deadline date has lapsed the assignment gallery will be removed, but your images will still reside in your own gallery.
5. In the Description box add title, camera, lens, exposure information, and your full name. Also add any other comments or anecdotes you think relevant. We reserve the right to edit comments as needed.
6. Click the Save button at the bottom of the page. This uploads the image.
7. You retain copyright on the image.
8. We will choose the images after close of the due date.
9. Please feel free to comment on images submitted by other readers.
Deadline For Submission: July 15, 2014.
Images will appear in our October 2014 issue.
Our Next Topic: Panorama
Deadline For Submission: August 15, 2014
Publication Date: November 2014 issue
Please Note: By submitting you agree to give us the right to show the image(s) on the web and for publication. You give us publication rights in the magazine and on the website(s) of Source Interlink Media.
Please Note: If you submit images with an enhancement through software beyond contrast, exposure, and simple saturation adjustments please indicate the software and “filter” used to attain that effect.—Editor
Want to see images selected for past picture this! Assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on picture this! In the “more articles…” box on the homepage.
Please Note: If the photograph includes a minor or a recognizable individual or group you are guaranteeing that you have a signed model release form, and especially a parental or guardian release form for minors. You should keep a copy of that release in your files. Scan that release and keep it handy. If an image is chosen for publication, failure to provide a form when requested will eliminate the image from consideration. You can find release forms at http://asmp.org/tutorials/model-release-minor-child.html and other resources on the Internet. By uploading images you attest that the model release form is valid, that any depiction of a person is with their consent, that you have a model release form available on request, and that all images you submit have been made by you.If you have any questions or problems e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with Picture This! in the subject line.
- Nikon Clarifies Their Path Forward: Will Concentrate on Mid-to-High-End DSLRs, Mirrorless Cameras & Lenses
- Watch How Photoshop Can Transform a Dull Photo into a Vibrant Image That “Pops” (VIDEO)
- Learn 7 Lightroom Tricks in 60 Seconds on Using Sliders to Speed up Your Workflow (VIDEO)
- You Should Try This Simple Lighting Setup for Shooting Beautiful Portraits at Home or on Location (VIDEO)
- Final Shot: Here's Our Favorite Reader Photo of the Month