PMA Show Report; Interchangeable Lenses; Fast And Small, And Macros, Too Page 2
Sony unveiled a 500mm f/4 G super telephoto and a Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM for the Alpha D-SLR system—both prototypes.
Tokina (THK Photo) added the AT-X 116 PRO DX (11-16mm) f/2.8 AF lens in a Sony mount. The lens features the proprietary One-touch Focus Clutch (push/pull) Mechanism as a replacement for the MF/AF switch typically found on many lenses. This lens joins versions available for Nikon and Canon APS-C cameras. Also new on the horizon is the AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8, marking Tokina’s entry into the full-frame arena—initially in Canon and Nikon mounts.
One of the highlights of this year’s introductions comes from Sigma. They have developed a new FLD (“F” LowDispersion) glass designed to rival fluorite in combating residual chromatic aberration and improving image quality. This glass has been incorporated in several of the new lenses: the 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (APS-C sensors), the APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM (full-frame sensors), and the 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM (APS-C).
Also new: an 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM and an APO 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM (both full-frame). Two of these zooms also benefit from a relatively fast fixed aperture, and the 85mm is impressive for its truly fast f/1.4 maximum aperture. And the 70-200mm, 17-50mm, and 50-500mm each offers Sigma’s Optical Stabilizer (OS). All the lenses incorporate Sigma’s Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for improved mechanical performance. They are all available in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, and Sony mounts.
Manufacturers/Distributors’ website addresses can be found by visiting the Instant Links section of our website at: www.shutterbug.com/currentissuelinks/.
- Nature Photographer Captures Stunning Images of African Wildlife at Night Under Moonlit Skies
- Look at this Stunning 4K Video of Whales & the Northern Lights in Norway by Philip Bloom
- This 4-Minute Time-Lapse Video Reveals 4.5 Hours of Editing That Resulted in One Spectacular Image
- What Were the Most Popular Photo Products of 2016? LensRentals Reveals Its Hottest Gear List
- This Happens When You Cut a Working Canon SLR Camera in Half with a 60,000 PSI Waterjet (VIDEO)