PMA Show Report; Interchangeable Lenses; Fast And Small, And Macros, Too Page 2
Sony unveiled a 500mm f/4 G super telephoto and a Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM for the Alpha D-SLR system—both prototypes.
Tokina (THK Photo) added the AT-X 116 PRO DX (11-16mm) f/2.8 AF lens in a Sony mount. The lens features the proprietary One-touch Focus Clutch (push/pull) Mechanism as a replacement for the MF/AF switch typically found on many lenses. This lens joins versions available for Nikon and Canon APS-C cameras. Also new on the horizon is the AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8, marking Tokina’s entry into the full-frame arena—initially in Canon and Nikon mounts.
One of the highlights of this year’s introductions comes from Sigma. They have developed a new FLD (“F” LowDispersion) glass designed to rival fluorite in combating residual chromatic aberration and improving image quality. This glass has been incorporated in several of the new lenses: the 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (APS-C sensors), the APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM (full-frame sensors), and the 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM (APS-C).
Also new: an 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM and an APO 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM (both full-frame). Two of these zooms also benefit from a relatively fast fixed aperture, and the 85mm is impressive for its truly fast f/1.4 maximum aperture. And the 70-200mm, 17-50mm, and 50-500mm each offers Sigma’s Optical Stabilizer (OS). All the lenses incorporate Sigma’s Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for improved mechanical performance. They are all available in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, and Sony mounts.
Manufacturers/Distributors’ website addresses can be found by visiting the Instant Links section of our website at: www.shutterbug.com/currentissuelinks/.
- Which Lens Is Best for Portraits: A Fast 85mm F/1.4 Prime or a Versatile 70-200mm F/2.8 Zoom? (VIDEO)
- Watch These Massive Siberian Tigers Feast on a Drone After Ripping It out of the Sky (VIDEO)
- Learn How to Win Photo Contests with These Helpful Tips from Successful Shooter Lorenz Holder (VIDEO)
- Nature Photographer Mandy Lea Travels in Style to Capture Gorgeous Images of the Great Outdoors
- Watch This Photoshop Tutorial and Learn How to Give Your Images Vibrant Natural Colors (VIDEO)