The Golden Hour Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Whether it's crashing surf, a rushing stream, or the calm reflections in a placid pool, pictures from the water's edge hold a special fascination. Ghost- or mirror-like reflections, glinting spectral highlights, and the special play of atmospheric light all play a part. This month's Picture This! assignment is "Pictures from the Water's Edge." You might enjoy working with a polarizer or a graduated neutral density filter, getting long exposures using a tripod, or even applying some enhancing effects in software as well. And don't forget to include exposure, gear, and any software manipulation in your image description. This shot was made in Boston Harbor right behind the famed Boston Aquarium on an overcast day. Exposure was f/5.6 at 1/60 sec with a Canon EOS 30D set at ISO 200. The image was shot in Monochrome mode with a "calotype" filter added using Alien Skin's Exposure software, with colorization on two layers via Photoshop's Hue and Saturation controls.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration.
Send your image and information to:
Picture This! Shutterbug Magazine,
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1, Titusville, FL 32780.
Deadline for submission: October 15, 2007.
Images will appear in our January 2008 issue.
Our next topic: From Above
Deadline: November 15, 2007
Publication Date: February, 2008
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
- Check Out These Spectacular Images Captured by a Pilot From the Cockpit of a Boeing 747 Cargo Plane
- Is Instant Film Photography Making a Comeback? How Fujifilm Has Sparked an Instant Revival
- Take a Gander at the Massive Tamron 150-600mm Superzoom Lens that Debuted at Photokina
- Venus Optics Just Introduced the Weirdest Lens You’ve Ever Seen: The Laowa 24mm f/14 Macro
- Light Touch: Joe McNally On How to Use Multiple Speedlights to Capture Eye-Popping Portraits