Spring Has Sprung Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Just Black And White (No Grays)
Our Picture This! assignment this month is "Just Black and White (No Grays)," which deals with a graphic treatment of images akin to pen and ink drawings or charcoal or woodcuts using only black and white to define form. There is a strong tradition of this in black and white photography, often begun in camera with the use of lith film and enhanced or built in the darkroom using lith negatives or positives made from enlarging slides or negative film, respectively, onto graphic art materials and then contacting or enlarging that film onto paper later. These days of course digital imaging allows for a much easier course of creation using various tools, such as Photoshop's Threshold command, but we don't care how the images you send are made as long as they exploit the potential for black and white only in the image.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration (4x6 up to 81/2x11).
Send your image and information to: Picture This! Shutterbug
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1, Titusville, FL 32780.
Deadline for submission: October 15, 2008.
Images will appear in our January 2009 issue.
Our next topic: Anomalies, Misplacements, And Oddball Juxtapositions
Deadline: November 15, 2008
Publication Date: February, 2009
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
Want to see images selected for past Picture This! assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on Picture This! in the "More Articles..." box on the homepage.
- Here’s the Best Way to Sharpen Your Images: Use This Free Photoshop Action Download (VIDEO)
- Travel Photographer Captures Gorgeous Long-Exposure Cityscapes at Night and You Can Too
- Here’s How to Create Believable Photos of People Levitating: No Magical Powers Required
- Our Favorite Reader Photos from "The Power of B&W" Assignment
- New High-Speed Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 Lens Promises “Exceptional” Image Quality