Macro World Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Shutter speed determines how motion records, with fast speeds freezing motion and slow speeds revealing the pattern of flow, things our unaided eye cannot see. Perhaps the most elegant use of shutter speed is in how we can record the motion of water, both with super-fast and super-slow shutter speeds. Our Picture This! assignment this month is Water Flow, and we’re looking for shots that reveal every drop, and the beauty of water recorded in slow-motion flow. This photo was made with a Canon EOS 5D mounted on a Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod; a 4xND filter was used to get an exposure of f/16 at 1⁄8 sec.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration (4x6 up to 81/2x11).
Send your image and information to:
Picture This! Shutterbug Magazine,
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1
Titusville, FL 32780
Deadline for submission: September 15, 2009
Images will appear in our December 2009 issue
Our next topic: Red Rock
Deadline: October 15, 2009
Publication Date: January, 2010
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
Want to see images selected for past Picture This! assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on Picture This! in the "More Articles..." box on the homepage.
- Summer Project: How to Put Classic Nikon Lenses Back to Work
- Capture the Beauty of Long Exposures with Your Camera’s Live View Mode and an ND Filter (VIDEO)
- Top Guns: 4 of the Most Popular Photographers on Social Media Share the Secrets to Their Success
- Watch This Video and You’ll Never Shoot Photos on Railroad Tracks Again
- Does It Bug You that Nature Documentaries Are Kind of Fake? Watch This Video & Tell Us What You Think