Grab Shots Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Fill Flash: Light In The Shadows
While most of us think of using flash when the light is low, fill flash can be a great aid in outdoor photos as well. It can fill in shadows, add some contrast and color on overcast days, and generally add some sparkle to close-ups and portraits. Good fill flash technique, however, should not make the use of flash obvious, as it can look artificial if too overpowering.
Our Picture This! assignment is on using fill flash outdoors to handle any of the criteria listed earlier, and also to show off use of fill in even more creative ways, such as during a pan or slow shutter speed shot where the fill is used to freeze one moment in the continuum of motion. This shot was made on a dreary winter's day. The fill brought some extra contrast into what might otherwise have been a "flat" shot.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration.
Send your image and information to:
Picture This! Shutterbug Magazine, 1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1, Titusville, FL 32780.
Deadline for submission: October 15, 2006.
Images will appear in our January 2007 issue.
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
- ExploreCams Website Reveals the Most Popular Cameras & Settings Used by Photographers
- How About These Stunning Images Captured with the New High-Speed AF-S Nikkor f/1.4E ED Lens?
- Cancer Therapist Mimics Celebrity Pics to Raise Money for Patients with These Hilarious Photos
- Why We Love Modern Retro-Style Cameras
- Does Microsoft’s "Intelligent" New Pix iPhone Photo App Beat Apple at Their Own Game?