Fog And Light Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Our next Picture This! assignment is "Directional Light." Whether skimming across a rough surface to enliven texture, or coming from "off-center" to reveal new forms within the frame, the direction of light has a profound effect on the dimensional quality of our images. Bathed in flat, "over the shoulder" light, exposure is easy, especially with the automated exposure systems of today. But directional light forces us to consider how highlight and shadow play, and how to expose to bring out the best in each subject. This image was made within steep canyon walls, with the light coming from 90Þ up and to the left of the center of the frame. The natural "bounce" was enough to fill the shadows, while the highlight area was read with a center-weighted metering pattern.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration.
Send your image and information to:
Picture This! Shutterbug Magazine,
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1,
Titusville, FL 32780.
Deadline for submission: July 15, 2006.
Images will appear in our October 2006 issue.
Our next topic:
It's What's Up Front That Counts: Lens Effects--Super Wide, Fisheye, Distortion, Super Depth Of Field
Deadline: August 15, 2006
Publication Date: November, 2006
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
- Can’t Afford a Medium Format Film Scanner? Here’s How to Build One with a Shoe Box (VIDEO)
- Meet the Russian Daredevil Who Takes Modeling to New Heights with These Terrifying Selfies (VIDEO)
- Ansel Adams' Daughter-in-Law Reveals Intimate Behind-the-Scenes Stories On the Master (VIDEO)
- Our Pick: The 10 Best Lenses for Mirrorless Cameras
- Create Dynamic “Rain” Portraits on the Cheap with a Manual-Focus Lens and a Garden Hose (VIDEO)