It's a colorful world, and photographers have the distinct pleasure of being able to frame compositions that play colors off against one another to create form and design. How those colors array themselves can add so much to a picture's visual pleasure. Using complementary, supplementary, and even clashing colors, pictures can excite the eye and bring pleasure to all who view them. This month's assignment was just that--Color Play--and readers responded with some dazzling images.
Picture This! - Our Next Assignment
America The Beautiful
W e thought we'd celebrate
our nation's birthday in the July issue with pictures that show
the sublime beauty that makes us so proud of our land. T he vast spaces
and open sky of our country present many opportunities for great images.
As you travel around this season keep an eye open for pictures that tell
a story about the grandeur of the U.S.A. and bring the beauty home on
film. This image was made during a brewing thunderstorm over the Sangre
de Christo mountains in Northern New Mexico. It was photographed with
a Pentax 67 on Agfa Scala black and white slide film. Exposure was f/11
at 1/250 sec.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our web site, www.shutterbug.net
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the web site.
Send your image
and information to:
- Instagram Photographer Hot.Kenobi Uses Action Figures to Create a Humorous, Surreal Universe
- Nature Photographer Mandy Lea Travels in Style to Capture Gorgeous Images of the Great Outdoors
- Learn How to Win Photo Contests with These Helpful Tips from Successful Shooter Lorenz Holder (VIDEO)
- How Far Has Photography Evolved Since 1960? Watch This Nostalgic Short Film and See for Yourself
- 10 Simple Tips on How to Turn Amateur-Looking Photos Into Pro-Quality Images (VIDEO)