Bokeh: Painterly Backgrounds Using Shallow Depth Of Field Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Our next Picture This! assignment is Soft Effects, a pictorial approach that counts on an ethereal sense of light, highlight diffusion, and even a bit of blur thrown in. You can create this effect in camera with certain modes, use special effects soft filters over lenses or even create your own with a bit of petroleum jelly on an old UV filter (an old wedding photographer’s trick). Of course, software abounds for creating this effect as well. This photo was created using a Curves adjustment in Photoshop and soft focus effect from Nik Software’s Color Efex Pro 3.0 software.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration (4x6 up to 81/2x11).
Send your image and information to: Picture This! Shutterbug
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1
Titusville, FL 32780
Deadline for submission: August 15, 2009
Images will appear in our November 2009 issue.
Our next topic: Water Flow
Deadline: September 15, 2009
Publication Date: December, 2009
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
Want to see images selected for past Picture This! assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on Picture This! in the "More Articles..." box on the homepage.
- Here’s the Best Way to Sharpen Your Images: Use This Free Photoshop Action Download (VIDEO)
- Travel Photographer Captures Gorgeous Long-Exposure Cityscapes at Night and You Can Too
- Here’s How to Create Believable Photos of People Levitating: No Magical Powers Required
- Our Favorite Reader Photos from "The Power of B&W" Assignment
- New High-Speed Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 Lens Promises “Exceptional” Image Quality