Anomalies, Misplacements, And Oddball Juxtapositions Page 2
Picture This! -- Our Next Assignment
Backlight: Stained Glass To Fall Foliage And More
Our next Picture This! assignment is “Backlight: Stained Glass to Fall Foliage and More.” Backlight is when the subject stands between you and the light source, and may result in a silhouette, or, if the subject has translucent elements, in a beautiful light that displays color unlike any other lighting condition. We’re looking for those translucent scenes, where you use backlight to full advantage. This shot was made with a Canon EOS 50D on a brilliant fall day, with edges filled with backlight and reflective fill adding to the reflections in the lake behind the stand of trees. Exposure, spot metered from the leaves with +0.5 EV compensation, was f/11 at 1/500 sec at ISO 160.
Please Read This
It is important that you read and follow these guidelines. We need to follow this procedure because of the large volume of images we receive. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Images sent to us cannot be returned. You retain complete copyright over the images, but do grant us permission to print your image(s) in the magazine and on our website, www.shutterbug.com.
2) Because images are not returned please send a quality print or duplicate transparency. We will not accept or view images on CD, ZIP, or any other electronic media.
3) Images will be selected on the basis of content and technical quality. Please mark your outer envelope with the topic of the month (for example, "Wide View").
4) Enclose a short caption with the image stating camera, lens, film and exposure, plus location. If you are submitting an image with a recognizable person we must have a model release or signed permission from that person to reproduce their image in the magazine and on the website.
5) Please submit no more than three photos for consideration (4x6 up to 81/2x11).
Send your image and information to: Picture This! Shutterbug
1419 Chaffee Dr., Suite #1
Titusville, FL 32780
Deadline for submission: March 15, 2009.
Images will appear in our June 2009 issue.
Our next topic: Bokeh: Painterly Backgrounds Using Shallow Depth Of Field
Deadline: April 15, 2009
Publication Date: July, 2009
Please note: We receive hundreds of submissions for Picture This! each month and want to be sure we properly identify each image we publish. Please be sure to attach your name and image information to the back of each submission.
Want to see images selected for past Picture This! assignments? Go to www.shutterbug.com and click on Picture This! in the "More Articles..." box on the homepage.
- Photographer Solves Mystery After Developing Forgotten Film In Vintage Camera Bought on eBay
- Jordan Matter Captures Dancers Like You’ve Never Seen Them Before: Naked on the Street After Dark
- Take a Video Tour of One of the World's Most Amazing Camera Shops: Grays of Westminster
- Australian Photographer Captures the Maelstrom of Gigantic Waves, and All You Can Say is WOW!
- These Are the First Known Photos of Snowflakes Ever Made: Shot by a Vermont Farmer in 1885