F/8 And Be There; No Plans? No Preparations? No Problem. Page 2
One other thing: With no planning, no crew, and no goal for the use of the photos, I took a lot more pictures than I usually do. If there's no goal, how do you know when you're done? You shoot as long as you want to, as long as you're having fun and think you're getting good stuff. I shot for three days with 10 models each day--five in the morning, five for the afternoon. I took a ton of flash cards. Usually I'd have one person with me who does nothing but download cards to the laptop all day long, but here I had a bunch of cards and didn't think about downloading until the end of the day.
Long story short, I came back with a couple of hundred winners that'll
go to different stock outlets, so the thing will pay off eventually. But the
really cool thing was the way it felt. In a word: awesome. I'm ready to
do it again. I think I need to pull back a little from the bigger jobs, ease
off and enjoy more. The thing is, most people would think that having a lot
of plans and a shot list and locations chosen and models cast and all that stuff
takes the edge off, that there's no tension to the shoot because it's
all laid out. But that's not true. The more organized you are, the more
pressure there is to come back with something that pays off on all that organization.
Just roaming around and freewheeling it, there's a little bit of the attitude,
hey, if I blow it, I wasn't serious in the first place.
Anyway, I had so much fun I'm thinking of talking about the Prague adventure in my Shutterbug column. See you in print."
- This Landscape Tutorial Takes You to Death Valley with Nature Photographer Ben Horne (VIDEO)
- Spiff Up Your Photography Wardrobe with These Snazzy Clothes and Accessories from Canon
- Nature Photographer Thomas Heaton Reveals His Secrets for Shooting Spectacular Seascapes (VIDEO)
- Have Fun Making Unique Portraits with These Creative Tips & Tricks (VIDEO)
- Hear the Story of How These Amazing Aerial Images of Air Force Jets Were Shot “Blind” on Film (VIDEO)