Packing; Saving Ounces; Packing For “On The Road” Page 2
I always carry select filters. Their weight does not really contribute that much to back strain. I do try to standardize on one size, like 77mm. My motto is to never leave home without a polarizer, a variable eight-stop ND, a soft focus, and a graduated filter. The first three are round, the last one is a rectangular Cokin or Lee, which fits into a holder so I can move it up, down, and sideways, depending on the effect and the light available.
I know that when you go on a trip you want to take all of your cameras, lenses, and related gear. But if you really dig deep, there are ways to save ounces without any inconvenience. Think about the trip, research the opportunities, be sensible, and pack accordingly. Reflect back to your last trip, recall what you did not use even though it was in your bag, and leave it home next go round. Believe me, your back will thank you for it.
Note: The contents of this pack do not include the Gitzo tripod, which goes in checked baggage. The gimbal head, right angle finder, and battery chargers go in an extra carryon bag. The total weight of the pack is 28 lbs (without the 200-400mm lens).
• Nikon D3S or D3X and a Kirk “L”-bracket
• Nikon D700 (backup)
• Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens
• Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G lens
• Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II lens
• Nikon 200-400mm f/4 lens (instead of the 17-35mm on wildlife trips)
• Nikon AF-S 1.4x Tele-converter
• Neck strap
• Cable release
• Extra EN-EL4a battery
• 20 Lexar 4GB or 8GB CompactFlash cards
• Assorted 77mm filters
• Epson P-6000 Multimedia Photo Viewer
• Palm-sized paper notebooks
• Lowepro Photo Trekker backpack
Stan Trzoniec is a frequent contributor to Shutterbug. His two new books Autumn in the Country and Digital Outdoor Photography are available and autographed through his www.outdoorphotographics.com website. He can be reached via e-mail at: email@example.com.
- Watch Photographer Ilko Allexandroff Get Beautiful Portraits of a Model During a Rain Storm (VIDEO)
- 10 Simple Tips on How to Turn Amateur-Looking Photos Into Pro-Quality Images (VIDEOS)
- Deep Cover: My 10 Favorite Stealth Photo Tools for Capturing "The Decisive Moment"
- 10 Simple Tips on How to Turn Amateur-Looking Photos Into Pro-Quality Images (VIDEO)
- Instagram Photographer Hot.Kenobi Uses Action Figures to Create a Humorous, Surreal Universe