I have tried printing my own images using an Epson R380. When the colors match up, the results are good, but the printer drinks ink, I've had clogging problems due to my low volumes, and I don't have flexibility with size (max is 8X10), and more exotic non-glossy papers.
I was thinking of using an online service instead for flexibility. I am a low volume user requiring high quality with accurate colors From a quick scan of Adorama and MPIX, prices are not bad, and since I'd probably only be printing a couple of 8X10 and 16X20s and maybe a bit larger prints per month, it seems like a more economical solution. I mainly print for my camera club competitions and to hang on my walls.
For those of you who have experience with online printers:
1. How would you rate their quality?
2. How does their quality compare to inkjet prints, both dye based and pigment?
3. Which online lab printers would you recommend and do they offer high quality fine art type papers?
4. Do they provide accurate and consistent ICC profiles?
5. Is it practical to use an online lab printer vs making your own prints on an inkjet?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.