Monterey Museum Of Art Hosts "Of Legendary Local ANd California Photographers"
In Sharp Focus: the Legacy of Monterey Photography will be the third in a series of major photography exhibitions organized by the Monterey Museum of Art. In Sharp Focus will examine the Group f/64 photographers—seven innovative northern California artists including Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, and Alma Lavenson—and their continuing legacy to the Monterey Peninsula. Turning away from the expressive, soft-focused, pictorial style of photography of the early twentieth century, these artists instead delivered realism, precision, high contrast, and intense detail without interpretive manipulation. Their approach was a modernist departure of its time, which revealed the natural world as never before and transformed American photography. Complementing these legendary artists will be works by the succeeding generations of photographers, among them: Al Weber, John Sexton, Martha Casanave, Bob Kolbrener and Wynn Bullock who continue to capture the magical and evocative subjects of the Monterey region and beyond.
The success of previous exhibitions—Ansel Adams: Portrait of America (2010) and Edward Weston: American Photographer (2011)—have solidly positioned the Monterey Museum of Art’s as a leading authority on the history of twentieth century California photography. In Sharp Focus: the Legacy of Monterey Photography will build on this critical and popular acclaim.
Enhancing the exhibition will be educational programs and activities for adults, families and children including: docent-led tours, scholarly lectures, and the Museum’s popular Family Day with free admission and art activities for all ages.
Museum hours are Wednesday-Saturday, 11 am-5 pm, Sunday, 1-4 pm. For more information visit www.montereyart.org or call 831.372.5477.
- Hot New Glass from Nikon: Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 Zoom & 19mm f/4 Tilt-Shift Lenses Announced
- Sensuous Bikini Glamour Photography is Easy with This Simple Setup and a Pretty Model (VIDEO)
- Case Air Wireless System Transfers Images from Your Camera to a Computer & Wireless Devices
- Toby Harvard Creates Striking Neon-Lit Portraits with Cheap Gear & Minimal Technical Expertise
- Epson Unveils Gorgeous Winners of 2016 International Panorama Photography Competition