Taos Digital Workshop Focused On Learning, Creativity, And Fun
"It's the light Rick. You have to see the beautiful quality of light that you find only in Taos." That's what George Schaub, Shutterbug's Editorial Director, told me shortly before our Taos Digital Photo Workshop, which was held in April of this year.
Well, on day one of our workshop, I found out that George was right about the light. It is gorgeous. The sky is a deeper shade of blue than I have ever seen--and I have seen many a sky around the world. The late afternoon and early morning colors seem to be "warmer," too. What's more, scenes look incredibly sharp, perhaps because of the extraordinarily clean air.
The wonderful quality of light set the tone for the workshop, which was lead by George, Joe "King of the Plug-ins" Farace, Michael "Mr. Nice Guy" O'Hollaren, and myself. Special presentations were made by Dave Chu, who was on hand to demonstrate Epson's fine printers, and Janice Wendt, who demonstrated the nik Color Efex Pro! and nik Sharpener Pro! plug-ins for Photoshop (and other plug-in compatible programs).
Simply put, the instructors had a blast working with the 64 participants who traveled to Taos from all around the country not only to learn about digital imaging, but also to learn about the basics of photography, such as "seeing the light," composing for creative pictures, and making vs. taking pictures.
In between my teaching sessions
(and learning sessions from my fellow pros and students), I had an opportunity
to take a few shots of my own. In this column, I'd like to share some
of my favorites, which illustrate some of the points we discussed in the
- 3 Legged Thing Corey Magnesium Alloy Travel Tripod with AirHed Neo Ball Head Review
- Ask A Pro: Scott Kelby Answers Your Photography Questions
- Which Lens Is Best for Portraits: A Fast 85mm F/1.4 Prime or a Versatile 70-200mm F/2.8 Zoom? (VIDEO)
- Celebrity Shooter Matthew Jordan Smith Shows You How to Take Great Portraits of Women (VIDEO)
- Watch These Massive Siberian Tigers Feast on a Drone After Ripping It out of the Sky (VIDEO)