George Eastman House 2014 Light & Motion Gala
The 2014 honorees will be:
· Leonard Maltin – 2014 Light & Motion Award for Advocacy
· Mary Ellen Mark – Lifetime Achievement in Photography
· Chris McCaw – Emerging Icon in Photography
· Alexander Payne – Lifetime Achievement in Film
· Julia Loktev – Emerging Icon in Film
· Blurb – Corporate Award
“George Eastman House is an American institution that stands apart in the digital age,” said David Friend, creative development editor, Vanity Fair, and chair of this year’s gala. “This event helps to strengthen the connection between Eastman House and the vibrant photography and film communities in New York City, and energizes the impulse to create, preserve, and archive imagery in our image-driven culture.”
George Eastman House leads in film preservation and photograph conservation, educating archivists and conservators from around the world through graduate schools and historic-process workshops. The museum holds unparalleled collections, totaling more than 4 million objects of photography, motion pictures, and cameras and technology, as well as literature of these fields of study.
The honorary chairs of the Light & Motion Gala are Ken Burns, Richard Gere, and Howard Greenberg.
“As a filmmaker, I appreciate having the support of such a passionate and talented team at George Eastman House to help bring my vision for a film full circle,” said Burns, who has a collection preserved in the vaults at the museum. “Preserving a film’s story, message, images and emotion allows the art to stand the test of time, keeping it accessible and relevant for years to come.”
In addition to the gala, Eastman House is represented in New York City this spring via its collections, with photographs on view at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, and the Museum of Modern Art, and films to be screened at MoMA. Alumni of Eastman House’s graduate-level programs are employed by nearly every major museum and archive in New York City.
The benefit gala will be held at Three Sixty°, located at 10 Desbrosses Street in Tribeca. Cocktails will begin at 7 p.m., followed by dinner and awards at 8 p.m. The suggested attire is black and white. Gala tickets start at $500 and tables at $5,000, and can be purchased by calling Cailin Fitzgerald (914) 235-1490 ext. 11 or emailing EastmanHouseGala@geh.org. For more information about this year's Light & Motion Gala, please visit www.eastmanhouse.org/nycgala.
- Nature Photographer Captures Stunning Images of African Wildlife at Night Under Moonlit Skies
- Look at this Stunning 4K Video of Whales & the Northern Lights in Norway by Philip Bloom
- This 4-Minute Time-Lapse Video Reveals 4.5 Hours of Editing That Resulted in One Spectacular Image
- What Were the Most Popular Photo Products of 2016? LensRentals Reveals Its Hottest Gear List
- This Happens When You Cut a Working Canon SLR Camera in Half with a 60,000 PSI Waterjet (VIDEO)