The graphic tablets most used by professionals are made by Wacom (www.wacom.com
Their line of Graphire4 tablets offer 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and
include both a pen and a mouse--which must be used on the tablet's
surface. If you prefer, you can keep your regular mouse connected along with
the graphic tablet. In the 4x5" size, they sell for under $100, while
a 6x8" is priced under $200. Even larger sizes are available in Wacom's
professional Intuos line, which offers 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity.
On the pen, there's an eraser and a rocker switch for keyboard short cuts,
and buttons on the Intuos tablets, called ExpressKeys and Touch Strips, give
you fast access to more keyboard short cuts, scrolling, zooming, and brush size
control. For the pen tip, you have a choice of three nibs for different effects.
A 6x8" Intuos3 lists at under $330.
transform a photo into a painting by hand, I began with this portrait
of Mira and her daughters Sydney and Aria, 4.5x7" at 300 ppi.
hand painting, set the palettes to their normal positions by choosing
Window>Workspace>Default; then Window>Brush Controls>
Next, choose File>Quick Clone to create a new "clone"
file which is a solid white background with a digital "tracing
paper" overlay. You will draw or paint on this tracing paper
so you can follow the outlines of the photo.
the Smeary Camel Cloner brush, I drew strokes in the direction of
the lines of the subject, reducing the brush size to paint in smaller
details. Then, I used the Restoration palette to bring back detail
in the faces for the final effect seen here.
What's New In Version X?
· The new RealBristle Painting System faithfully replicates the interaction
between paint, canvas, and brush, reproducing the natural movement of bristles.
· For those who want to design around classical composition techniques,
you can call on the new Divine Proportion composition tool, as well as preset
and customizable Layout Grids. Session memory retains settings between sessions,
including those for grid, tracker (history), and eraser.
· Corel claims significantly increased speed for start up, file opening
and saving, as well as rendering.
· The enhanced Auto-Painting palette enables you to transform your photo
into a painting automatically. Enlist the new Smart Stroke painting option to
apply random paint strokes that vary in type, direction, and pressure while
following the forms and shapes in your original photo.
· An improved Underpainting palette offers new predefined Color Schemes
as well as new Photo Enhancement controls to modify hue, saturation, brightness,
and contrast when preparing a photo for Auto-Painting.
· Dodge and Burn tools have been added to the toolbox.
· A new Match palette effect allows you to match color between two images
and includes controls for color, brightness, and intensity.
· The new Universal Mixer palette now works with more brushes and gives
better control over color blending between the Mixer palette colors and the
· A new Workspace Manager makes it easy to set up and switch between customized
work spaces for specific tasks, such as working with photos, painting, or sketching.
· Color management has been simplified, with your initial settings being
retained until you change them, and with support for ICC profiles.
· Making selections within layers is much improved, and the compatibility
between Painter and Photoshop layers has been enhanced. Files saved in the Photoshop
PSD format will now open in Painter X with layer masks, alpha channels, and
layer groups maintained. On the Painter X side, layer grouping and combining
has been improved, as has support for more layer Blend modes. Version X also
supports Photoshop compatible plug-ins for Mac OS X.