Entries In Joe Gioias Digital Notebook
If you're a photographer,
this is what you do.
Then in January, 2001, you
start posting the pictures to your web site. You may put up three or four
photos of a single day; sometimes a day yields no images at all.
When someone says that the unanswered questions and suggested lives in the pictures remind him of Raymond Carver short stories, and then says that you've created art, you say that you set out only to photograph your life. You say that the ideal viewer of these pictures is someone who is awake at three in morning, that Visible Republic is a refuge for insomniacs.
You cite influences, especially Walker Evans, especially his subway photos. You say that if Andre Kertesz were alive today he'd be shooting with a digital camera.
You believe that this is what
digital and the web do best. You're surprised so few people are
- Photographer Uses GoPro to Demonstrate the Collodion Process Invented in 1851 (VIDEO)
- Always Remember to Take a Good Look: How to See What’s Right in Front of You as a Photographer
- Help the Rescued Film Project Process & Restore a Treasure Trove of Film Shot in the 1950s (VIDEO)
- Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens Review
- FilmToaster Scanner Review