The Canon EOS 1Ds
The Well Heeled Photographers Dream Camera
This digital thing just might work out after all. Consumer point-and-shoot cameras are getting better, faster, cheaper, and easier to use. Photo quality color printers are starting to live up to their "lab quality prints" claims, and the high end is getting positively scary! Recently I had the chance to get my hands on one of the very first production Canon EOS-1Ds digital cameras, the new 11 million pixel, full 24x36mm frame professional CMOS SLR body that has the photo world buzzing. This is a serious camera that should push the few film-only stalwarts over the fence.
Is Film Still Dead?
While all of these cameras
can replace film for many applications, for commercial shooters like myself
I've found that they are close, real close, but not quite there
yet. For studio shots I've reverted either to a 4x5 view camera
loaded with Fuji Provia, or the excellent MegaVision T32 three-shot camera
back on a Hasselblad body.
The Dreamer Awakes
But At What Price Glory?
Our 1Ds Arrives
Putting It To Work
Checking The Image Files
What About The Noise Over
Getting RAW In The Studio
On The Job
The Horse's Mouth
At The Printing House
Easy To Like
And A Few Grumbles...
- Nature Photographer Thomas Heaton Reveals His Secrets for Shooting Spectacular Seascapes (VIDEO)
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Aperture But Were Afraid to Ask (VIDEO)
- Learn How to Brighten Eyes in Photoshop in Less than One Minute (VIDEO)
- How to Shoot Pretty Portraits with a Compact Camera; Manny Ortiz Strips It Down With the Sony RX100 V
- Yay! 15 Fun Questions to Test Your Right to be Called a Photography Fanatic