Adorama Variable Grade Black And White Paper
To those still on the quest
for an affordable, good quality black and white paper, the time has
come to sheath your reading glass. Adorama Variable Grade, a medium
weight RC available in glossy and Mother-of-Pearl surfaces, meets the
requirements and may well be the treasure you seek. This paper has a
pleasing ever so slight warm-black image tone, moderate printing speed,
good exposure range, and full compatibility with standard VC filters.
Unlike many RC papers the emulsion
does not contain a developing agent, and while this limits its use with
automated processors, it has no effect upon standard tray processing.
The manufacturer's recommended 60 sec developing time in Kodak Dektol
1+1 at 68°F proved correct, but a longer time in a 1+2 solution gave
similar results. After 10 sec in the stop bath, 30 sec in a fresh normal
(not rapid) fixer, and a two minute running water wash, the print dries
spot free and very flat in about 30 minutes.
The only significant difference
between Adorama Variable Grade and similar RC offerings from the major
makers is that its ISO printing speed varies with filter grade: grade
00 = P180, grade 0 = P160, grade 1 = P130, grade 2 = P110, grade 3 = P90,
grade 4 = P60, and grade 5 = P40. However, overall speed is comparable
to that of others and the wide printing range yields a gentle gray-tone
transition. The paper is available in all sizes from 5x7" to 16x20",
including hard to find 81/2x11", in a variety of sheet quantities.
- Photographer Travels the World to Capture These Astonishing Macro Cityscapes in Drops of Water
- 13 Questions to Test Your Knowledge of Camera Lenses
- Hands-On Impressions of the New Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
- Feast Your Eyes on These Stunning Images of Earth Just Captured by the International Space Station
- Hands-On with the Sigma 500mm Lens & Hasselblad's V1D Medium Format Camera (PHOTOS)