World Photography Organisation In New York October 13—November 12, 2011
"We are delighted to come to New York City which has been the favorite subject of countless photographers since the early days of the medium," said Astrid Merget, Creative Director of the World Photography Organisation. "It is our goal throughout these four weeks to harness the boundless energy of New York's rich photographic community to create an environment that engages both emerging and established talent."
The New York events will kick off with an opening night on Thursday, October 13 at 6:00 p.m. featuring the 2011 Sony World Photography Awards Winners' Exhibition curated by Elisabeth Biondi, former Visuals Editor of the New Yorker and a chair of the Honorary Judging committee of the 2011 awards. Sony World Photography Awards is widely recognized as the leading global photographic awards program in existence today whose mission is to discover talent across many diverse fields of photography. The work in these exhibitions will provide a stunning and inspiring snapshot of global contemporary photography.
Also on display will be a Sony Artisan of Imagery exhibition. The theme of the exhibition ties in to the 2012 theme of the Sony World Photography Awards Student Focus Program, Fleeting Moment. The Sony Artisan of Imagery photographers are Sony US Ambassadors, which include some of the most respected professional photographers worldwide.
The centerpiece of the programming is the recently launched City Projects, a series of intense and challenging three-day workshops open to both serious amateurs and professional photographers. The City Projects global theme for 2011/2012 is "Portraits of a City," led by award-winning and established photographers Steve Pyke, Cheryl Dunn, Nick Turpin and Jez Coulson. These workshops will invite participants to capture the spirit of New York via the unique brief of each instructor. A mixed media presentation of selected work from the New York City Projects, will be showcased at the Chelsea Art Museum from October 26 through November 12, alongside a selection from the São Paulo and London City Projects.
Other programming will include:
· The Beginners Portrait Workshops led by British portrait photographer David Graham
· Student Focus Program, welcoming photography students to participate in free programming and featuring a very special student City Project, led by Sony Artisan of Imagery photographer, Cristina Mittermeier
· Introduction to Self-Publishing seminar hosted by Daniel Milnor, Blurb Books Ambassador
· In the Photographer's Studio, featuring Elisabeth Biondi in conversation with Alejandro Chaskielberg, winner of the 2011 Sony World Photography Awards L'Iris d'Or
These New York Events follow World Photography Events and Festivals that took place in Shanghai, San Francisco, São Paulo and London over the past year. Next stops on the tour are Chicago in November 2011, São Paulo in January 2012 and London in April 2012.
Chelsea Art Museum details:
555 West 22nd Street
New York, NY 10011
Opening Hours: Tuesday - Saturday: 11am - 6pm Thursday: 11am - 8pm
For more information on the Sony World Photography Awards and World Photography New York Events, please visit: www.worldphoto.org/festivals-events.
Event tickets and program are available through the World Photography Organisation website. Tickets will also be available through Chelsea Art Museum during the event.
- How to Shoot Pretty Portraits with a Compact Camera; Manny Ortiz Strips It Down With the Sony RX100 V
- Here Are 10 Great Tips & Tricks for Making Precise Selections & Masks in Photoshop (VIDEO)
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V Compact Camera Review
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Review: Field Testing Sigma’s Fast “Gateway” Portrait Lens
- Watch This Amtrak Train Plow Through a Snow Covered Station in Slow Mo (VIDEO)