Sony Field Monitor
If you ever wanted a larger LCD on your DSLR or camcorder, your wish is about to come true.
Sony recently announced the CLM-V55 External LCD Monitor that should work with any DSLR or camcorder that has HDMI output.
It’s a 5-inch field monitor with 800x480 resolution and it plugs into your camera via the supplied HDMI cable (there are two words we rarely find together: “supplied” and “HDMI”).
It’s powered by AC or an optional battery pack, and comes with a removable hood to facilitate viewing in bright sunlight. As you can see from the image above, it attaches to your camera’s hot shoe and can be swiveled into a comfortable viewing position.
I haven’t had one in my hands yet, but it sounds great. Quoting here from Sony’s press release, this feature alone will make it worthwhile to me:
“Pixel magnification mode assists with accurate focus confirmation, giving an enlarged pixel-perfect view of a selected portion of the Full HD image. It’s complemented by a color peaking function that highlights the edges of accurately-focused areas of the video image.”
This means my tired old eyes will have a larger image to work with, even when I’m in the field.
The CLM-V55 will be available in February and will cost around $400.
- Checking Out the New Canon EOS M5 Flagship Mirrorless Camera at PhotoPlus Expo (Video)
- Travel Photographer Captures Gorgeous Long-Exposure Cityscapes at Night and You Can Too
- Here’s How to Create Believable Photos of People Levitating: No Magical Powers Required
- Former Surfer Creates Extraordinary Photographs of the World’s Ever-Changing Oceans
- Look at These Eye-Popping Macro Photographs of Damselflies and You Will Be Amazed