Shootin' & Scootin' In Bangkok; A Day Of Endless Photo Ops
From my home in upstate New
York, Bangkok, Thailand, is on the other side of the planet--actually
a day and a half away, door to door. That grueling travel time is something
that you really don't want to think about when you're stuck
in coach at 30,000 ft shortly after takeoff.
The exotic, magical, and enthralling
city is filled with dozens of Buddhist temples, the Temple of the Emerald
Buddha (Wat Phra Kaeo) being the most elaborate. Upon seeing the Temple
of the Emerald Buddha, one immediately appreciates the temple's
name: it seems as though every inch of the temple is inlaid with jewels
(actually pieces of colored glass). The temple is magnificent, but it's
only a small part of the stunning Grand Palace complex, which comprises
many throne halls and stupas (sacred sites for religious relics), all
seemingly inlaid with jewels and covered with gold leaf.
Grand Palace complex. You will
not be alone in the palace complex. In fact, there may be hundreds of
people sharing your experience! You can avoid getting people in your pictures
by getting down low and shooting at an upward angle. I used my Canon 16-35mm
lens set at 20mm for this photograph.
Temple of the Reclining Buddha.
The outer walls of the Temple of the Reclining Buddha are lined with hundreds
of statues set against an intricate background of carvings and colored
glass. To convey the depth and scale of the walls, shoot from a corner
with a wide angle lens set at a small f/stop. I used my Canon 16-35mm
lens set at 16mm and f/11.
- Learn How to Make Great Portraits On the Cheap with Three Simple Setups from Nathan Elson (VIDEO)
- Freebie Alert: Get the “National Geographic Guide to Photography” with This Free PDF Download
- Getting Started in Photoshop? Here’s How to Use Layer Masks to Edit Difficult Images (VIDEO)
- These Stunning Images Are the 10 Category Winners in the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards Competition
- Bentley Is at It Again with This 57,700-Megapixel Interactive Image of Their Luxury Car in Dubai